Refund on excess contributions


Q. I am a CSRS employee with 45 years of service. I am planning to retire at the end of the year and was told that all of my retirement contribution after 41 years and 11 months will be returned to me. Is that true? If so, is any interest paid?

A. Yes, you will receive a refund of your excess contributions, with interest. You will also be given the opportunity to purchase additional annuity not subject to the 80 percent limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply