Spouse’s Social Security adjustment


Q. When I retire, I will give my wife a full spousal annuity. I am in CSRS. When I die and when my wife starts to receive her spousal annuity, will the Social Security payment she receives for her contributions be reduced? Is there any windfall or offset adjustment to her Social Security earnings?

A. There would be no reduction of any kind, either to her earned Social Security benefit or the survivor annuity you are providing for her.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply