Survivor annuity and FEHB


Q. I retired as a CSRS employee six years ago.  While I was a federal employee, I dropped my individual health plan when my husband, also a CSRS employee, enrolled in a family health plan to cover us and our children. My husband is retiring and will keep the family health plan. Does he need to provide a survivor annuity for me so I can keep federal health insurance if he dies before me? We have been told that he does not need to provide a survivor annuity for me, because I dropped my FEHB plan to be covered by another FEHB plan.

A. If your husband were to die before you, you could continue your FEHB coverage because you are receiving an annuity based on your federal employment. If you weren’t, your husband would have to provide a survivor annuity for you to continue that coverage.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply