Leave without pay and involuntary recall


Q. I am on active duty under Title 10 for a 225-day involuntary recall deployment. I am also a 15-year federal employee. Upon coming into the federal position in 2003, I bought back my four years of active-duty time, which has been applied to my FERS position. I would now like to have the deployment days added onto my federal career. I am on leave without pay. However, I am receiving differential of pay. Would I be authorized to have the deployment time calculated to my federal position? I was also informed that I would receive no evaluation or SF-50 while out of my federal position. Therefore, would a military evaluation be allowed in my federal service record for future job reference? How is leave without pay applied if I am applying for other federal jobs?

A. Because you are on LWOP-US, when you return to your civilian job, you can make a deposit to get credit for that time. While your military evaluation might be of interest to a future employer, it would only carry weight if your military assignment was in the same field and at the same level of the job for which you were applying.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply