Rehired annuitant


Q. I retired from the federal government with more than 35 years of service with a CSRS pension on Jan. 20, 2009, because I was serving in a non-career SES position (my final SF-50 indicated an involuntary separation). If I were to return to federal service, would I be eligible for an annuity offset, thereby keeping my annuity and federal salary? In addition, if, after working as a re-employed annuitant for two or three years and then re-retiring, would my CSRS annuity change or be re-calculated to reflect additional years of employment?

A. As a rule, if you were re-employed by the federal government, your salary would be offset by the amount of your annuity. If you worked full-time for a year (or the part-time equivalent), you’d be entitled to a supplemental annuity. If you worked for at least five years, you’d be entitled to a re-determined annuity. In other words, your annuity would be recomputed as if you were retiring for the first time.

On the other hand, if you were hired into a position that allowed you to receive both your annuity and your full salary, you wouldn’t be entitled to any additional retirement benefits when you left.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply