Returning to federal employment


Q. I worked for customs for 13 months and resigned about 10 years ago. I did not my accrued sick leave, nor did I transfer it when I left. I was recently hired by the Department of Homeland Security/Transportation Security Administration part time.

1. How do I get the unused sick leave I had when I resigned credited back to me?

2. Can I start to contribute to TSP right away, along with receiving the agency’s matching contributions, or do I have to wait like all new employees?

3. Is there a formula for calculating FERS retirement for part-time service; which type of retirement will I be pursuing?

A. For you to receive credit for unused sick leave, your agency will have to get your record of previous service from the National Personnel Records Center, in St. Louis, Mo. To find out how annuities are calculated for part-time employees, go to and scroll to Subchapter 55B.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply