Military buyback and retirement points


Q. Can I buy back my military time based on my retirement points instead of my DD 214? After four-plus years of active duty, I retired from the U.S. Army Reserve.

A. Deposits to get credit for periods of active-duty service are based solely on the basic pay you received on active duty. A copy of the DD 214 is used by the finance center for your branch of service to verify that amount.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply