Survivor annuity and health insurance


Q. I am planning to retire soon with 30 years of federal service and am CSRS. I carry a family health insurance policy because my husband is retired and his company did not offer anything for him to carry into retirement. He has been on my plan for several years. My plans are to NOT take a survivor annuity. Should I die before him, will he be allowed to continue the health insurance? If not, can I ensure that if I die before him that he can continue the insurance coverage?

A. The only way you can ensure that he will be able to continue his coverage under your FEHB enrollment is if you elect a survivor annuity for him. If you are a CSRS employee, you can elect a survivor annuity in any amount from $1 up; if you are a FERS employee, the only option other than a full survivor annuity is one worth 50 percent of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply