Medicare Part B and FEHB


Q. My question concerns what happens when I turn 65. I am 63; what happens with my Civil Service health benefits? I have been told to keep these benefits and not go on Medicare. Is that still true? I would get better coverage with my Civil Service. I am single and would not be eligible on a spouse’s plan, etc., and do not have Social Security benefits.

A. You should continue your enrollment in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program. And you should enroll in Medicare Part A because you already paid for it through payroll deductions. As for Medicare Part B, that’s a personal choice based on your current and anticipated health needs. Since you have to pay premiums for that coverage, it’s worthwhile doing a financial analysis to see if you’d be better off with or without it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply