Refund on excess CSRS contributions


Q. I read recently on the Q&A about the opportunity to purchase additional annuity not subject to the 80 percent limit for CSRS employees with more that 41 years and 11 months. How does that work? I will have 41 years and 11 months in October, and I am planning to work beyond that. I thought the only way to add more than 80 percent was with excess sick leave (which I don’t have). Would this additional annuity be in lieu of the refund?

A. Yes. To see how it works, read my March 5 column, available at


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply