Military and federal retirement


Q. I have applied for a federal job. I served 25 years in the Army Reserve and am receiving VA disability due to Iraq injuries. If hired for the federal job, will I be able to receive a retirement based on the length of service in the new federal job?

A. If you want to know if you will get credit for your active-duty service when you become a federal employee, the answer is no unless you make a deposit to the civilian retirement system and, when you retire from that job, waive your military retired pay.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply