Q. I was employed by the Postal Service in the late 1960s, served four years in the Air Force and returned to the USPS in the mid-1970s before leaving for other employment. How can I determine if I am entitled to a pension?

A. At age 62, you would be entitled to an annuity based on your USPS employment if you had at least five years of service and didn’t take a refund of your retirement deductions when you left. If you meet those criteria, you can apply for a deferred annuity several months before your 62nd birthday. Just fill out a copy of Standard Form 2801, Application for Immediate Retirement (available at, click on Find Form(s)) and send it to the address on the form.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply