CSRS annuity and post-retirement employment


Q. I retired in 2007 after 43 years of government service. I now have an opportunity to go to work for a local hospital and need to know if my CSRS annuity will be reduced as a result. Is there a cap on how much I can or cannot earn before being penalized?

A. Your annuity would be affected only if you returned to work for the federal government. Note: The earnings test applies only to Social Security recipients who haven’t reached full Social Security retirement age and whose earnings exceed the annual limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply