Redepositing CSRS money


Q. I worked for the federal government from September 1980 till August 1990 (one week shy of 10 years). I received a full refund of my contribution to CSRS. Can I redeposit the funds into my CSRS account? Is it worth it?

A. You could redeposit that money, plus accrued interest, only if you returned to work for the federal government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply