Maximum government contribution?


Q. I am a FERS GS0081 employee. Next year, I will have 31 years of service at 52 years of age. I was planning to work until I reached my mandatory retirement age of 57. But I have been told the federal government will only contribute to retirement for a maximum of 31 years. Is this correct?

A. Whoever told you that is misinformed. As long as you continue working, both you and the government will continue to contribute to the retirement fund. And those years will be included in your annuity computation. Because you are a special category employee, the more generous formula will be used for your 20 years of covered service and all additional years computed using the standard formula.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply