Military and postal time


Q. I have worked 9½ years in the post office. Now I am active-duty Army. Can I buy back the years from the post office or add my 10 years and eight months to post office retirement?

A. Your years of service with the Postal Service cannot be combined with your years of active-duty service. On the other hand, if you return to work for the federal government, you can make a deposit to get credit for your active-duty time in determining your total years of civilian service and used in your annuity computation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply