Retirement after part-time federal work


Q. I have worked as a clinical dietitian for more than 20 years (part time — 24 hours/week for the past 12). I am considering leaving to do private practice full time. How will this affect my pension, retirement, etc.? Will I still be eligible for my pension after a certain age?

A. If you don’t take a refund of your retirement contributions when you leave, you’ll be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 60.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply