Annuity after retiring before MRA


Q. I resigned from federal service with 21 years of service — 20 in FERS, one in CSRS. When I resigned, I was not at minimum retirement age. I now meet the MRA+10 rules and am ineligible for CSRS refunds. Can I wait until age 60 and qualify for an unreduced annuity under age 60 with 20 years of service provision? Is it better to take the reduced annuity today?

A. You don’t have a choice. Because you have 20 years of service, you can only apply for a deferred annuity at age 60. Note: Because you had fewer than five years of CSRS service, your CSRS service was automatically converted to FERS service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply