Retirement effect of leaving federal work


Q. I am a FERS employee (postal) with 16 years in with four years Air Force. If I took a full-time state job, how would that affect my federal retirement? My minimum retirement age is 56 years and 6 months, and I am 44.

A. If you resigned from the government, left your contributions in the retirement fund and took a non-federal job, you’d be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62. You’d be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 60 if you have made a deposit to get credit for your active-duty service, giving you a total of 20 years, before you leave.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply