CSRS Offset


Q. I retired after 31 years of government service at age 62. Prior to retirement, I applied for Social Security and was granted, allowing me to receive my benefits. I should add that I was under CSRS. When my annuity was calculated, I was told that they would deduct/offset a certain amount for Social Security because I decided to receive Social Security at age 62. Once I reach 65, will that money stop being deducted? Can I count on it monthly after I reach 65?

A. The reduction is permanent.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply