Military buyback and law enforcement credit


Q. I served 23 years in the Army and retired in 1999. Sixteen years of that was spent as a special agent with Army Criminal Investigation Command, and the remaining was as a military police officer. I was hired into my current organization as a GS 1811 (law enforcement) in 2002, and, as a result of an age waiver, received primary 6(e) coverage, which allows me to do a full 20 years of 1811 service. Is there any way to get any of my past military time credited as “1811 time,” which would qualify under the 6(e) retirement system so I could retire with 6(e) retirement and not have to do the full 20?

A. No, there isn’t. The only time such military service can be credited for special category retirement purposes is if a covered employee is called to active duty and then returns to a covered position.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply