Special retirement supplement


Q. Whenever you talk about the special retirement supplement, you mention starting with a Social Security benefit. Is that based on the full retirement amount one would receive at age 66½, or is it based on the reduced amount you would receive at age 62? In my case, there would be roughly a $600 difference in the amount you are taking a percentage of. Thirty years is 75 percent, but is it 75 percent of the approximately$2,200 in Social Security for full retirement, or 75 percent of the $1,600 I would get at age 62?

A. The special retirement supplement is based on the amount of Social Security benefit at age 62 that you earned while a FERS employee. The SRS ends at age 62 when you become eligible for a regular Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply