CSRS and recovering Social Security deductions


Q. I retired under CSRS in 2010 and came back in August 2011 under the rehire program. I’m not a senior official, and there’s no offset with my pension — which is nice, but HR says regarding Social Security, too bad: I have to pay into the program, which seems unfair, knowing I’ll never get Social Security income. Do you have any suggestions on how I could recover what they’ve been taking out for Social Security and/or stop this withdrawal?

A. Too bad, but that’s the law and there is no way around it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply