Military and 6c law enforcement experience


Q. I have 16 years of 6C (law enforcement) covered service and am 42. I bought back seven years of active-duty military time about five years ago. That gives me 23 years combined. If I work under 6C service for two more years, I will have 18 years of 6C service and 25 years total. Can I retire in two years under the provision of 25 years of service?

A. No. You have to have 25 years of actual law enforcement service to retire under the special provision.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply