CSRS and Social Security


Q. I retired from the federal government under CSRS. I also paid back my military time. Since I retired, I have been working and paying Social Security. I have met my 40 quarters. When I turn 62, I was thinking of applying for Social Security. Will I receive Social Security, or will they offset my retirement?

A. Because you are receiving an annuity from CSRS, a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, you’ll be subject to the windfall elimination provision. The WEP will reduce, but not eliminate, your Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply