Retiring outside of the country


Q. I’ll be 62 years old in March and covered by FERS for six years. After retirement, I’ll leave the country. Besides a small amount in the Thrift Savings Plan, there will be no health care coverage (will be covered by my home country) or other retirements service in the future. Social Security will be my only monthly U.S. income. The rough estimate retirement amount from FERS will be around $260 per month. Do I get the amount that I contributed AND the amount the government contributed in a lump-sum payment?

A. No, you wouldn’t get a lump-sum payment. Instead, you’d receive an annuity based on the following formula: 0.01 x your high-3 x your years and full months of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply