Leave without pay


Q. Would you please explain the differences between using leave without pay and leave without pay-uniformed services and how it impacts someone at retirement? Am I automatically placed on LWOP-US when activated for Reserve training (title 32), or can I request LWOP and not have to make a deposit? I have been making deposits for a lot of LWOP-US over my career and would hate to find out I didn’t have to make those payments for stints less than six months.

A. No, you don’t have a choice. When called to active duty, you are automatically placed on LWOP-US unless you elect to use annual leave for some or all of that time.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply