Annual leave and return to federal service


Q. I worked for the federal government for 14 years (1980 to 1994). When I left federal service, I took a buyout.

I would like to return to federal service. If I get a job, will I start out at 13 days of annual leave, or will I earn an amount equal to the amount I accrued after 14 years of service?

A. You will get credit for your earlier service in determining your leave accrual category.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply