Military service and FERS contributions


Q. I am a federal employee with the Department of Defense Fire & Emergency Services, and I am also a member of the Air National Guard. Over the years, I have had several military deployments (Title 10 Active Duty) in which my time for pay has been coded KG (Military Furlough-Active Duty), and I have not paid/contributed into FERS.

Although I have been a federal firefighter since 2005, I do have quite a bit of time that I did not pay into FERS, and I would like to know if I can retroactively pay/contribute into FERS so the time I was deployed will count as creditable service for retirement. I have more than two years of active-duty time for which I did not contribute into FERS, and I understand I will have to work an additional two years to make up that time.

A. If your periods of active-duty service interrupted your covered employment as a firefighter, you would get credit for them only if you made a deposit to the retirement system, including accrued interest.

Otherwise, as you noted, you’d have to continue working in a covered position until you met the 20 years of service requirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply