Military injuries and credit for service


Q. I am a new federal employee, and I am trying to get credit for my military time to go toward my service computation date. I was in the military from 1986 to 1996 had a training accident, which caused me to be medically retired.

My accident did not happen in combat but during training while theU.S.was at war. Human resources is telling me I cannot be credited because my accident is not combat-related. Is this true?

A. Because you are retired from the armed forces, you can get credit for only: 1) actual service during a war declared by Congress (includes World War II covering the period Dec. 7, 1941, to April 28, 1952) or while participating in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge is authorized; or 2) all active duty when retirement was based on a disability received as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war as defined in 38 U.S.C. 101(11). “Period of war” includes World War II, the Korean conflict,Vietnam era, the Persian Gulf War or the period beginning on the date of any future declaration of war by the Congress and ending on the date prescribed by presidential proclamation or concurrent resolution of the Congress.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Comments are closed.