Combining federal and state periods of service


Q. I have 17 years of prior service in the United States Postal Service under CSRS, and I’m employed by the state of New York. I would like to know if there is a way to combine my federal and state times.

A. There isn’t. FYI: If you didn’t take a refund of your retirement contributions when you left the Postal Service, you could apply for a deferred CSRS annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Comments are closed.