Postal Service resignation


Q. I am about to resign from the Postal Service as a carrier after 21 years. At my minimum retirement age of 56 years and six months, can I draw my retirement without penalty? Can I draw it early with a penalty?

A. If you resign from the government, you can apply for a penalty-free deferred annuity at age 60. Your annuity will be calculated using the standard formula, with your high-3 being the one you had when you left.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Comments are closed.