Medicare and CSRS


Q. I retired from the federal government two years ago. I was under CSRS. I paid into Medicare while working. Is it necessary for me to have it taken out of my annuity now that I am retired? How do I get it taken out since they do not automatically do it?

A. You already paid for Medicare Part A coverage through payroll deductions. The Social Security Administration will get in touch with you shortly before your 62nd birthday to enroll you. To enroll in Medicare Part B, for which you’d pay the premiums, you’d need to call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. That agency will arrange for the deductions to be taken out of your CSRS annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply