MRA and benefits


Q. I have 10 years of service: blended Customs and Border Protection enhanced law enforcement and FERS. I will be 57 next year. Can I collect a pension (with 5 percent reduction) and Social Security offset at 57 and 10 years’ service? I would like to work at a local police agency. Would that affect the so-called Social Security offset.

A. I think you are asking if you could retire under the MRA+10 provision (minimum retirement age with at least 10 years of service). The answer is yes. Your annuity would be computed using the standard formula, and, as you pointed out, it would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you were under age 62. Since you wouldn’t be eligible for the special retirement supplement, which approximates the Social Security benefit you earned while a FERS employee, you would have to wait until age 62 to be eligible for a regular Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply