Special retirement supplement and dependent benefits


Q. I am 57 years of age and will retire with 30 years of government federal service. I am under FERS. I have a disabled son in Puerto Rico, who lives with his mother. She has always taken care of him. He was born with a brain tumor and has undergone multiple brain surgeries. He became blind during one of his brain surgeries. Optic nerves were invaded by tumor. Is he entitled to receive a supplement as I will, when I retire? If so, how do I go about requesting this from the Office of Personnel Management?

A. Only FERS employees who retire on an immediate unreduced annuity are eligible to receive the special retirement supplement. No one else is entitled to it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply