Temporary promotion and agency transfer


Q. I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. I am occupying a GL-09 position under a temporary promotion not to exceed 12 months which was effective Dec. 4. My salary is $64,124 a year.

I am transferring to another agency. Will my pay be matched at the current level or my previous grade? The new position is starting as a GS-09 on a specialty scale 980 b for law enforcement security officers.

A. As a rule, your new employer would set your pay at the level of your permanent position, not the one to which you were temporarily promoted.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply