Changing from CSRS to FERS


Q. I have 31 years with CSRS and have 10 years Social Security paid in. Is there any advantage in changing over to FERS at this late date? I find that I would receive very little from Social Security.

A. Because there is no provision in law that would allow you to transfer to FERS, your question is moot.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply