CSRS offset retirement and Social Security


Q. I’m a CSRS offset employee. Will I draw a Social Security check and a pension check from my agency each month? I have more than 31 years with the U.S. Department of Labor, and I’m retiring in a couple of weeks.

A. No, you won’t. You’ll receive a monthly annuity payment from the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, and, when you are eligible for a Social Security benefit at age 62, your CSRS annuity will be reduced (offset) by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while a CSRS offset employee. That amount plus any additional Social Security benefit you earned elsewhere will be paid to you by the Social Security Administration. Note: Because part of your annuity will be from CSRS, a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, if you have fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security, your Social Security benefit will be impacted by the windfall elimination provision. The WEP will reduce but not eliminate that benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply