Spouse’s Social Security after death


Q. I am a retired CSRS employee. I do not receive Social Security, as I have only 31 quarters paid. My husband is a retired FERS employee, as well as retired military, and receives Social Security payments. If I outlive him, will I be entitled to a portion of his Social Security?

A. Probably not. Because you are receiving an annuity from CSRS, a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, you’ll be subject to the government pension offset. The GPO will reduce that Social Security survivor’s benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply