Benefits leaving federal work after nine years


Q. I have an opportunity to take a private-sector position that would be very rewarding. Can I maintain my federal government benefits when I leave? I’ve been a federal employee for nine years.

A. If you don’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions, you’d be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply