Lump sum question


Q. My husband worked for the post office from approximately 1977 until 1982. He cannot remember if he took a lump sum when he quit or not. How can he find out? It is clear he did not pay Social Security during those years. Please provide us the email or website/telephone number for him to check. It is hard to find on the websites.

A. Have him call OPM’s Retirement Operations Office at 1-800-767-6738 and talk to a benefits specialist.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply