Military buyback, Social Security, high-3 and TSP


Q. I have 33 years in and am under CSRS. I will be 60 years old in May. I served less than two years in the Army in my 20s. I am a WG-8 making almost $25 an hour. I receive correspondence statements from Social Security that if I retire at age 62, I would be eligible for approximately $300 based on a second job 12 years ago and jobs before joining the government in the 1980s.

1. Should I buy back the time I have in the Army?

2. Will the buyback help increase my Social Security? Or will the money from Social Security lower my pension?

3. Should I get a part-time job to increase my Social Security benefit? I know I am not eligible for disability based on not having 40 quarters, but will the small amount of time I have paid into Social Security help or hurt me when I want to retire at 62?

4. Is there anything current on whether the top three years will be changed to top five? And, if it gets changed, should I retire before it is implemented?

5. Are there any ways to increase my pension other than saving with the Thrift Savings Plan or getting a second job (see above question)? I have reservations with TSP because of the taxes. I have money in it but am not saving. My understanding is I can’t touch it without penalty until age 62. Is this correct?

A. Reg: Because you were first employed before Oct. 1, 1982, you’ll get credit for your active-duty service in determining your eligibility to retire and in your annuity computation. If you aren’t eligible for a Social Security benefit at age 62, your annuity won’t be affected. The Office of Personnel Management only checks once, at age 62, if you are already retired, or when you retire if it’s at age 62 or later.

If you take a job after retirement and earn enough credits to be eligible for a Social Security benefit, it will be affected by the windfall elimination provision. The WEP reduces the Social Security benefit of anyone who receives an annuity from a retirement system where he didn’t pay Social Security taxes, such as CSRS, and has fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security.

Mike: You’ll have access to your TSP money, without any early withdrawal penalty, as soon as you retire from federal service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply