Administrative leave and use-or-lose


Q. I’m being placed on administrative leave by a federal agency (USDA, FSIS) pending an Equal Employment Opportunity complaint proposal for removal. I have use-or-lose leave. Do I have to use it since I am on involuntary leave? I’m not able to find any guidelines on such a matter. Can you please provide me with a federal regulation?

A. You’ll find the guidance on annual leave at Just scroll to the section titled “Use or Lose Annual Leave.” Then click on the highlighted words “restoration of annual leave” to find the circumstances under which forfeited annual leave can be restored.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply