Retirement refund and annuity


Q. I am with USPS and am in CSRS. I began working in 1973 and quit in 1977, at which time I withdrew my retirement money. I returned to USPS in 1983 and am still with them. Do I need to redeposit the money I withdrew to get credit for 33 years of service? If I do not redeposit the money, will my annuity be decreased and if so by how much?

A. Because you took a refund of your retirement contributions before Feb. 28, 1991, you’ll still get credit for that time in determining your years of service; however, if you don’t redeposit that money plus accrued interest, your annuity will be actuarially reduced. I can’t tell you by how much. Your personnel office may be able to help you do that.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply