Medicare deductions


Q. How is Medicare Part B deducted if you have a federal pension? Does it work like Social Security? I am not 65 yet but would like to know how I get my premiums paid from my pension.

A. The Social Security Administration can arrange to have your Medicare Part B premiums deducted from your annuity. When you approach your 65th birthday, call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. A benefits specialist will help you make the arrangement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply