Reinstating FEHB


Q. I am a CSRS employee with 34 years of federal service. I am going to retire in 2013. If I suspend my Federal Employees Health Benefits to go under my husband’s Tricare, will I still be able to reinstate my FEHB any time I want during an open season after I become an annuitant? Also, will I still be able to join the long-term federal health insurance plan?

A. Yes to both questions. If you suspend your coverage to be under Tricare, you can re-enroll in the FEHB program during any open season. You can enroll in the Federal Long-Term Care Insurance Program as an employee or a retiree.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply