Civil service and Social Security


Q. My wife retired from a civil service job with 31 years of service and gets a retirement check each month. She continued to work elsewhere under Social Security and now has enough quarters to get a Social Security retirement. Will she continue to get her complete civil service check and one from Social Security?

A. Assuming she was a CSRS employee, she’ll continue to receive her unreduced CSRS annuity; however, her Social Security benefit will be subject to the windfall elimination provision. The WEP reduces the Social Security benefit of anyone who receives an annuity from a retirement system, such as CSRS, where he or she didn’t pay Social Security taxes and has fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply