Health insurance after previously married husband died


Q. My friend’s husband died recently. She does not receive a survivor’s benefit because his first wife was awarded the maximum benefit in the divorce settlement. Can she keep her federal health insurance?

A. She could continue her health benefits coverage only if she was 1) receiving a survivor annuity, 2) a federal employee or 3) a retiree who was receiving an annuity based on her own federal employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply