Special retirement supplement and years of service


Q. I am 55 and was hired Dec. 29, 1984, under CSRS and forced into FERS when it was implemented. I have since paid a deposit for four years of military service, and according to my SF-50, my service computation date is Dec. 29, 1981. I want to retire Dec. 29 with 32 years.

With 28 years of federal service and 4 years of deposit paid military time, for a total of 32 years, will I be eligible for the FERS special retirement supplement? Or will I have to complete two more years of FERS to be eligible for the supplement?

A. If you retire at your minimum retirement age (56) with 30 years of combined service, you will be entitled to the special retirement supplement. The SRS will be based solely on your years of actual FERS service. The active-duty service for which you made a deposit won’t be included in that computation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply