Special retirement supplement, MRA and VERA


Q. In the booklet the Postal Service mailed me, it states that if you reach your minimum retirement age during a reduction in force, you can receive the special retirement supplement. The MRA in a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority is 50, not 55. Therefore, I should get the supplement because I am 50 years old, correct?

A. I think you misunderstood what you read. If you retire under the VERA and have already reached your MRA, you’ll be entitled to the special retirement supplement when you retire. If you take a VERA and are under your MRA, you’ll begin receiving it when you reach your MRA.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply